Non-Immigrant Visas: Visas for Temporary Visitors

There are many types of non-immigrant visas for temporary visitors to travel to the U.S. when you are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident. The purpose of your intended travel and certain other facts will determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law.

The chart below details many of the non-immigrant visa types.

Contact our office if you would like to learn more about any of these Visa types.

Visa Type

Purpose of Travel to U.S. and Nonimmigrant Visas

ADiplomats and Foreign Government Officials
A-2 NATO 1-6Foreign Military Personnel Stationed in the U.S.
B-1Athletes (amateur & professional-prize money only)
Business Visitors Visa
Domestic Employees or Nanny (accompanying a foreign national employer)
B-2Visitors Seeking Medical Treatment
Tourism, Vacation, Pleasure Visitors
BCCBorder Crossing Card: Mexico
CTransiting the United States
CW-1CNMI-only transitional worker
DCrew Members Visa
ETreaty Traders / Treaty Investors
E-3Australian Professional Specialty
F, MStudents: Academic, Vocational
G1-G5, NATOEmployees of a Designated International Organization, and NATO
H-1BSpecialty Occupations in Fields Requiring Highly Specialized Knowledge
Free Trade Agreement (FTA)
Professionals: Chile, Singapore
H-2ATemporary Agricultural Workers
H-2BTemporary Workers Performing Other Services or Labor of a Temporary or Seasonal Nature.
H-3Training in a Program Not Primarily For Employmen
IMedia and Journalists
JMedia and Journalists
Au pairs (exchange visitor)
Exchange Visitors
Professor, Scholar, Teacher (exchange visitor)
J, H-1BPhysician
LIntra-company Transferees
OForeign Nationals with Extraordinary Ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics
PPerforming Athletes, Artists, Entertainers
QInternational Cultural Exchange Visitors
RReligious Workers
TVictims of Human Trafficking
TN / TDNAFTA professional workers: Mexico, Canada
UVictims of Criminal Activity

NOTE: There is no Visa required for Canadian NAFTA Professional workers. Also, K visas are for the purpose of marrying a U.S. citizen and immigrating or joining a U.S. citizen spouse in the United States while awaiting USCIS approval of Form I-130 for immigrant status.